Saturday, January 11, 2014

Dear Jack



Dear Jack,
It is 10 oclock at night and I am typing this as I make rice krispie treats for your preschool bday party tomorrow. At 5 years old you have most assuredly caught on that your mom does not have it all together ever, hence the treat making business really late the night before.

Your birthday celebration started at church on Sunday where the whole Primary sang you a happy birthday song. On Monday we went to Grandma's house where she made your favorite dinner, chicken nuggets and fries. Hers were homemade and delicious followed by a whole bunch of gifts from her. When we came home we found a huge gift bag for you full of fun stuff from your Primary teachers. Tomorrow you will have a small celebration at preschool with these treats I am trying not to consume before delivery . Mrs. Dieu will undoubtedly have a gift and something fun to celebrate you. On Saturday we are having 9 friends over for your super hero party. That is just a few of your friends as you seem to have a ton of friends. If you haven't gathered all ready, you are highly celebrated and extremely loved.


Despite all of the celebrating and reminders, I am having a really difficult time accepting that my first born, my Jack, is now 5. That isn't very old compared to my age, but I just need you to understand how difficult it is for me to be happy about you getting older, you are no longer my "little Jack". In fact, I am pretty sure our work is done as far as raising you and you are practically as tall as me.

You have been driving your power wheels jeep daily for two years now. I am pretty sure you are a better driver than me. With Kate as your passenger, you guys go around and over our giant backyard with ease and incredible skills. You can clean the house better than me, wash your own clothes, and help Daddy build longboards.

A few facts about you:
1. You asked Daddy when he was going to get a real job besides driving a truck as a firefighter. This is really funny to us since Daddy studied really hard for the engineer test and then with his amazing skills and testing he ranked 5th out of 100 plus guys and instantly got hired on as an engineer moving up from a firefighter. You might be the only 5 year old in the world that is not impressed by this.
2. You learned to ride your bike in couple weeks. Daddy took you to the park, removed your training wheels, and you practiced a lot.
3. You went to Sea World for the second time in your life this year as well as the ocean and really loved the ocean compared to when you went at 18 months.
4. You started preschool and LOVE it.

The best highlight of this year, however, is when you became an older brother to yet another sibling. You have so many amazing qualties, but perhaps your greatest strength is your ability to love and care for your siblings. You are an amazing brother. You were so excited for Finn to be born and then every day thereafter wanted to hold him all day long. As Kate became  your bunkbed mate you guys became B.F.Fs and spend endless hours at night laughing and carrying on instead of sleeping. I have a love/hate relationship with bedtime.


Your year as a 4 year old came to conclusion with the incredible expression of your testimony. You say an amazing prayer with your own thoughts, desires, and questions, but one day in December you said something weird that provoked a discussion about choosing the right and becoming more Christ- like.  From the back of the van this discussion prompted an expression of your incredibly sweet testimony. I wish I had recorded all that you said, but you basically just started saying lots of things about the gospel that we were surprised that you knew and understood enough to express. As we listened to you pour your heart out, your  Father whispered to me "he is basically expressing his testimony." It was a really spiritual moment that I loved so much.



You really do have an incredible spirit Jack. I am not sure why we are so lucky to get someone as gifted as you, but I know that Heavenly Father knew I needed you. You have helped me grow so much . As much as I hate each birthday as it seems like we are getting closer and closer to the day you exit our home and really drive and work on your own, I can't help but love getting to know you more and more as you mature and grow. You have been Iron Man, Captain America, Lone Ranger, and now Batman as you just got that costume for your Birthday. Every little boy needs a super hero, but nobody talks about the mom behind the super hero. My favorite hero will always be you. You are pretty Super. 

Love,
Mom

No comments: