
(photo by zeffler photo)
Dear Jack,
Happy 3rd Birthday my darling boy. 3 years today I became a mother. 3 years ago today I became the best of me. 3 years ago today I forgot all my regrets and only knew of joy. When I was 8 I wanted to be a librarian. At 15 I wanted to be veterinarian. Upon High School graduation I thought I could do anything, but settled for Dental Hygiene, which never worked out. I never became anything very successful. In fact I never became much of anything until I met your father. I wanted to be a lot of things in this world that never worked out, but I can promise you the one thing I always wanted ever since I could write and say so in my little diary, is to be a mom. I sure love being your mom.
The only time I have been away from you so far is when I gave birth to Kate. I have been with you every single day so far which is thanks to our Heavenly Father and so much thanks to your father who has made that possible. Your dad is the kind of dad who no matter how much fun his job is, no matter how ambitious he is, or is needed or wanted elsewhere, he always wants to be home with you, with us. So on this day and every day I hope you know how lucky you are to have a dad like that who became some kind of wonderful on your very first birthday.
This year you have turned 15 in Jack years. You are incredibly wise, thoughtful, insightful, and already driving. You are practically an adult with your Jeep that has two speeds and reverse. As soon as you learn how to steer you will be ready to conquer the world. This year you became a big brother which is an incredible feat for the first born. You had your moments of confusion and desire for all of the attention, but in reality you deserve all the credit in the world for such an adjustment. It is tough to share your toys and to get in trouble for being too rough, but you have an extremely big heart and I have watched your sweetness with your sister and died a thousand times each day. Today for example, I caught you rubbing her soft head like you must have seen me do a ton, and then kissed her so softly on her eye while the other eye smiled right back at you.
This year you learned what seems like 5 million words. You say whole sentences really well, but I hope you never stop referring to yourself in the 3rd person. The way you invite everyone to "play at Jack's house" and say things like "Jack will do it"," that is Jack's", and my favorite : "no I'm Jack, not Jack Osslerr!" is pretty spectacular. I confess today I might of wished you knew a few less words. I am pretty sure you said "mommy" 200 times if I really rounded down. Kate was fussy, your dad was on a 24 hour shift and I was tired and impatient like I shouldn't be. By the end of the day I started "shushing you" a lot, and now like all nights I want it all back except this time with more patience and understanding. You brought me two books to read before bed, sat on my lap and reached up to hook your arm around my neck. Then you did the unthinkable and kissed me on my cheek like I was 5 years old and repentant, while you were seemingly 28 and all knowing.
That is the way it is with you. Every day is crazy and adventurous, but at the end of the day you are this perfect little creature who gets me and loves me. This is why 3 years ago today I became the best of me. The greatest lessons I will ever learn started on that day and will continue in all the years to come. Now I take you to the library which is currently your favorite and we check out all the books we want. Now I take you to the zoo, to local farms, and to the pet store where we look at all the animals and study them in our books. And every night you are so good at letting me clean your teeth and often ask me to count them and check for "sugar bugs". Therefore, 3 years ago today I became your mom which is all I ever wanted to be and because of that I am finally a librarian, veterinarian, and dental hygienist. On this day, you get the birthday, but I get the happy and many more to come....thanks to you. Happy Birthday Jack!
2 comments:
So sweet! I was going to tell you (I don't know if I already did) -- when Zane came home from shooting your little family, I was looking at the pictures in order on the camera and I could just tell Kate adores her brother so much. She could hardly keep her eyes off of him.
What a precious little boy and family you have!
I love these posts to Jack and Kate. You are a great mom, and Jack is a great little boy. It's so wonderful to see a Mom enjoying her job (most of the time, because who really loves any job ALL the time).
I love all you Ostlers!
Post a Comment