Saturday, December 5, 2009

Dear Jack.....

You are 11 months old and just finished up the month where we remember that we have much to be grateful for.


For starters I am grateful for this book I am reading, A Crash Course in Child Development, that states " he may not look it, but your baby is actually a tiny scientist at work." When you are throwing your entire dinner on the floor plus the sippy cup, you are not ungrateful, but merely wondering what happens when it falls. Again and again and again. Well there you have it. You are just a scientist in this giant world of a lab, and I am merely a bunson burner or some sort of tool (in every sense of the word) helping you with your experiments.

Let it be known that in November of 2009 there was still a lot of good out there. In a world where everyone is trying to get their piece before it is gone, I have witnessed quite a few examples of people still reaching out to others and not worrying about themselves. There is the lady that smiled the biggest smile at me when I was hoping to go unnoticed at the store. It made me feel so happy that I wanted to pay it forward. So together we did. Your smile can make anyone's day. There was a woman at Walgreen's that took a moment to find a coupon that I had no idea applied to my purchase and saved me 5 dollars. There are the many strangers that help me get your stroller ready, or open the door for me when my arms are full with you. There is still kindness everywhere we look despite the greedy times we live in.

I am so grateful that there is a season for everything. I am so glad that right now is your season to just learn, love, and laugh. I love watching you crawl around the house and look at everything as something to be explored with no consequences. You have no idea what the words "worry" or "what if " means. I wish that we could drag out this season of ignorance a little bit longer because it is so wonderful to have you as an example to us of someone who is continuously optimistic and happy with no fear or concern. I just watched you tip an almost empty water bottle upside down with a look of amazement as the water poured out onto your lap. You are crawling away with a packaging sticker on your rear from who knows what, and heading for the pantry where you often pull all that you can off the shelves.

I am grateful for peace. Not just the kind of peace you get from your lovie, binkies, or those nasty messy cookies, but the kind of peace we have in our home. Our home is a sanctuary from the war outside and although it is nowhere near the kind of sanctuary that the temple is, it is still a place of refuge. There are not just political wars going on, but wars on family, religion, and your future as a whole. If we have anything to do about it, you will always be able to shut our front door and feel safe with us. Here we know what our values are. Here we know what a family consists of. Here you should know that we are doing everything we can to give you a bright future. I am so thankful for the kind of peace I can feel after a crazy day especially when feeling alone because your dad is working. I sneak into your room while you are sleeping to say my personal prayers. In your sleeping presence I can get the reverence I need for a comforting prayer. It is quite an experience that I will have to tell you about someday. Knowing that you just came from the very person I am praying to makes it so wonderful for me.

We just finished up your very first Thanksgiving dinner with my family. I was super worried about making my home good enough for this special holiday, but I do believe dear boy that it was a success. Despite my preparations I believe that you are what actually made it a hit. You are so lucky to have such great grandparents that would do anything for you on both sides. We are now getting ready for a really full house with all of your father's family coming this Christmas. Christmas just got even more jolly with you around. I predict you will be walking by the next post. Right now you stand up on everything and will probably have your two front teeth in for Christhmath. Of all the things to be grateful for, we are the most grateful for you.

4 comments:

Aubrie said...

Oh, sweet Kasha! You are so amazing. Once again, you have written such a beautiful letter to little Jack. You are SUCH a good person and I love your optimism and your faith. You home is a place of love and a place where the Spirit is felt; very much.

It was a wonderful Thanksgiving and I am so glad you put everything together!

khbaird said...

I love the pic where jack is shirtless and he is digging through the cupboard. So funny. You do write good letter to jack though I will agree. Keep it up!

Blake and Meg said...

very touching... i totally want to sneak into Molly's room and say my prayers... oh wait--my kid is refusing to sleep and is tearing her room apart trying to find her Belle and Beast figurine to play with. Well, maybe I'll have to set my alarm to say my prayers because heavens knows I'll be asleep before she is! And the Lord has entrusted me with ANOTHER ONE???

Sure love you!

Becky said...

Kasha you are such a creative writer. You give me a look into a world that I sometimes forget about, instead of trying to "keep up with the Jones's". I love your letters to Jack.